Bags, Bags, Bags!
In this class you can stitch up a bag in your choice from three different styles. The bags to choose from are:
- An Easy Messenger Bag with flap closure and internal patch pocket.
- A spacious shaped Shopper’s Tote Bag with patchwork sides and sturdy handles.
- A Patchwork Shoulder Bag with quilted exterior, internal patch pocket and magnetic snap closure.
The workshop covers and refreshes lots of useful skills. The precise skills will depend on which bag you make but will include some or all of:
- assembling patchwork
- adding quilting
- working with fusible wadding
- safe and accurate usage of a rotary cutter
- making square bag bottoms
- inserting a lining
- adding patch pockets
- working with metal snaps and other hardware
This workshop is a great way to improve your bag making skills and general sewing confidence. Why not attend more than once and make a selection of bags for different occasions?
You will need to bring the following quantities of fabric or feel free to purchase some from our extensive range at the start of the class.
For the easy messenger bag:
- Fabric 1 (outside and strap): 75cm
- Fabric 2 (flap): 1 fat quarter
- Fabric 3 (lining): 75cm
For the shopper’s tote bag:
- Fabric 1 (centre panel): 50cm
- Fabric 2 (outside squares): 15cm
- Fabric 3 (side panels): 35cm
- Fabric 4 (handles): 20cm
- Fabric 5 (lining): 50cm
For the patchwork shoulder bag:
- Fabric 1 (patchwork): 25cm
- Fabric 2 (patchwork): 25cm
- Fabric 3 (outer bag and strap): 50cm
- Fabric 4 (lining): 75cm
All other materials are provided including use of our Janome J3-18 sewing machines.
Your tutor for this class will be Ana Dugdale. Ana is a City and Guilds qualified tutor with extensive sewing experience particularly in the field of patchwork and quilting.